April 4, 2011

Photography Nut

I'm not a serious photography amateur, let alone a  professional photographer. I just find photography really really interesting. A camera and a creative eye have the ability to transform a typical normal scene into something moving, beautiful and well, really something else entirely. Photography can transform what our naked eye sees. Or else, that's what I think. Hihi.

Anyway.

I don't want to buy a professional DSLR just yet because I'm still a noob in photography. I'm looking for a camera that I can use to utilize photography skills while at the same time give me opportunities for mindless point-and-shoot photography. Haha! Candid shots capture the real essence of the model, don't they? Also, I want a camera that is more compact but has all the necessary features to really put one's skills and photo-schema to the test. Size and weight are not really deciding factors for me in choosing a model but the smaller and lighter, the better ;)

Two camera models, one brand of note. Lumix DMC LX3 and LX5. They're both high-end digital cameras. So far, from what I've come across, they pretty much have the same features and specs. Close call for the low-light ISOs though (94 ISO of the LX3's compared to LX5's 132). Also, a certain "BlackBlack" on Danny Choo's blog comments "Don't like the lens cover very much. There are better solutions. Hope the LX5 doesn't have this".

The images taken by these Lumix models were superb. Still debating with myself which model to get. They're both pretty cool. I'm guessing I'd have to buy a couple of lenses and external flash for it.

Here are some of my sources for LX3:

DP Review
Here's a good overall review for the Lumix LX3 which has the full specs, features and includes photos.


Culture Japan
It's pretty useful because his review is precise and straight to the point. Big plus for the pretty layout and cute Jap characters. (^_^)


DxO Mark
I like this one! It compares the LX3 and LX5. Speaking of which, you can compare other camera models, too. Try it out! ;)


Digital Photographer Forum
This photography forum is very interesting. Their comments are pretty helpful and the images are great too. The water drop photos are awesome!! Also, I love how there was a photo comparison with the ISO lightings.



Sources for the Lumix DMC LX5:

CNET Asia Review
This review is solely for the Lumix DMC LX5. Also very helpful! You can post your own review here, too.


Digital-Camera
This is a good review from Digital-Camera. "Build and design", "Good features", "Good image quality" speculations are somewhat summarized but helpful nonetheless. You can also leave a reply. Ask a question, make a comment, etc. Me likey.



Pay these sites a visit, you'll learn a lot ;)

I read more about the LX3 which is why I'm more inclined to buy it but I'm guessing that the LX5 is more advanced. Would have to get more professional opinions on this and most especially, my mom's. Hihi, since we'll both handle the payments. (50/50)

As of now, will read more and do more digging. I hope my investigations become fruitful and allow me to make a profound decision.