July 9, 2013

Gandhi: Fighting Violence with Peace

Gandhi is one of my life's heroes. I live (or I try very hard to) by his famous words, "Live as if you were to die tomorrow, learn as if you were to live forever." It just sums up a great life philosophy in a few powerful words. Needless to say, when I found out (albeit quite late) that Mohandas K. Gandhi had a biopic, I rushed immediately to download it.

What I learned from the movie has undoubtedly left me quite even more awestruck at this historical legendary figure.




Perhaps I was able to feel such a powerful connection to this movie because the Filipino race underwent a similar colonization. Several actually, the longest under Spanish rule. Until now, our race as a whole is crippled by several political, social and economical issues in our country such as corruption, poverty, disrespect for human rights, among other things.

In several scenes in the movie I felt such a grave disgust for several episodes of racism and prejudice. Being criticized and uncompromised because of your race will always be such a loathsome thing to me.

Gandhi was a lawyer, riding the train in the first class section and meeting with influential and powerful men of the time. But he left a life of security and familiarity to walk with his countrymen and lead them in a fight against colonialism and rule.

What I appreciated the most about his story is the fact that Gandhi was a man of profound strength which he never showed through brute force or cunning but rather, through standing strong with his ideals and principles and never backing down. THAT is what strength is.

Aside from that, he made me understand religion and faith. "It mattered not what book (Bible/Quoran) was being read as long as God was being worshiped." I really loved that line. Also, I love the fact that this movie showed the union between Hindus and Muslims. Stating from social strereotypes, these people are some of the most discriminated ones in society. Different religions, united by the same cause and bonded by the principle of nonviolence.

Another reason why I felt strongly about the movie is because Gandhi reminded me of Jose Rizal, the Philippines' National Hero. They both fought for their race to rightfully reign supreme in their native land. They were both characteristic of intelligence, charisma and eloquence. They both wielded weapons that did not harm nor wound the flesh but rather, deeply wounded the pride of their oppressors.

I picked up several lessons and principles from this movie that left me rather enlightened and uplifted. If only there were men and women alive that possessed the same temperaments and attributes as his. I would have loved to have even just an hour of conversation with them.

Peace out.