July 20, 2013

Frida Kahlo, Mexican Surrealist Painter

A woman ahead of her time. A sharp tongue, quick wit, a strong heart and enigmatic artistry. I first watched her biopic as portrayed by the indomitable Salma Hayek for my art appreciation class back in college. As I watched in awe at this remarkable woman's life story, I found myself drawn to her...




This woman underwent a lot of terrible experiences, her handicapped condition and a womanizing mentor cum husband chief among them. And the way she dealt with these experiences: with the heart of a rhino and with cajones bigger than any overly manly man I know.

The thing that really enraptured me about her was how she knew how to think ahead of her time. She was a woman of such profound wisdom and eloquence. Plus I love how quick witted and clever she was. More than the artiste, I appreciate the woman.

I learned so many things from her from the things she said and they way she lived her life. She was a woman of beauty transcending mere physical aesthetics.

And yes, her relationships were rocky, but then she was in love. And si, la amour makes people do loca coisas. She influenced and inspired everyone she came across and similarly, everyone also left an indelible effect on her life.

As for the movie, the occasional switches between surrealism and reality made for interesting points of view on the story line. In a way, you can understand what's going on better with scenes that aren't actually "in-your-face" but are left to the discretion of the audience how they choose to understand. With a great soundtrack and vintage feels to the sceneries, it left me with quite a romantic and nostalgic feeling.

I love everything about this movie. From the subject to the story to the treatment and of course, the cast. Salma Hayek, Alfred Molina and Ashley Judd were amazing! Because of this movie, Alfred Molina has become one of my favorite actors.

Frida Kahlo is such an interesting figure that women should aspire to emulate. Plus, that unibrow has become so iconic, I think that she may be the only one who can get away with sporting that look.