May 8, 2013

The Thing About Self-Shots

I hate the word "selfie". But hate, I guess would be too strong an emotion. Let's just say I'm not fond of the word.

People love taking self-shots because it makes them look pretty/handsome, macho, cute, what have you. The lacking element of candidness will not give way for unattractive shots because you can just delete it anyway when you look crappy; or post it online when you look like you're modelling for Vogue or whatever.

This act of vanity plagues social networks: "Look at me, God damn it, I am oozing with sexaaayy."

There is nothing wrong, per se about vanity, or selfies. (Ehhhh.) You make love to the camera, and the camera, with the right timing, lighting, expression and projection, it reciprocates.

Personally, I prefer using profile pictures that aren't the product of vanity. Those photos that other people took of me. Let me say upfront that I am NOT a photogenic person. I look deformed most of the time when posting for photos. But this is not the reason I don't like taking self-shots.

The reason for me preferring to use photos that other people took is because I prefer it to be natural. I want to use a "social network face" that I didn't have to scrutinize over, taking a dozen similar shots of.

I don't know how to pose in front of the camera. I have an awkward smile. I have no idea what people mean when they say "project". When I look good in a photo, it's kind of a big deal for me because unlike the rest of shutter-happy society, the camera does not love me. It just likes me as a friend. What a thought. Friendzoned by the camera.

EXHIBIT A.
These self-shots were taken right after I woke at 10:30 a.m. It's one of those rare miraculous mornings wherein I wake up with hair that seemed like I worked hours to style. My face doesn't look like a grease pan. The light shed the room in a warm way. I was filled with happy vibes.

Au naturel. (I freaking swear on my soul.)

On the rare occasion that I actually take self-shots, I don't want to look pretty or cute. Eh. That't what everyone else does. I want to show the more natural side of myself. My face has no inhibitions. I don't want to just smile and think "oohhh, this shot is going to be a good one."

Just look at those faces. Look at theeeeemmm. Uninhibited self shots are better than pretty ones. I hardly ever have the latter anyway.


EXHIBIT B.
The Beatles' "A Hard Days' Night" album cover.


Exhibit B inspired Exhibit A. I like the way the album cover was taken. Candid, natural, black & white.

The aim in self-portraits is not to look pretty. Everyone already knows you are, sure. The aim is to express yourself through your face. That's the funner side of self-portraits. Self-expression.