June 4, 2013

The Agra Fort and the Taj Mahal

More to see from Incredible India :)

The day before my last day in India, I visited the Agra Fort and the Taj Mahal. It was an all-day guided tour. I tried with grandiose will power to listen and retain what the guide was saying. The remnants of that tour shall now be immortalized in this blog post.



I hate this guy with the monkey. He treats the monkey like a brute! Tsk. #SorryNotSorry

I guess I felt kind of like an idiot after taking the photo because the brute demanded money. Errrr.

Lunch inside the [I forgot the name] restaurant! The power occasionally turned off which made my spicy buttered chicken chowing experience a doozy. As in, not cool. Ah whatever.

The fortress was made from red sand stone.




Look at all these intricate details! They were all made from a single large stone and carved entirely by hand. It really was complex work. Imagine having no technology during those days to create something as beautiful as this. The guide said that if they made a single mistake in carving, they'd have to start all over again with a new stone. Everything is symmetrical and equally measured. Amazing.

This wall art was created from ground pieces of precious stones such as topaz, ruby, etc.


This basin made for natural ventilation purposes inside the home. It would be filled up with water which would then make it through the thick walls of the room and ventilate the air.

Mind you, everything I type from here on out are just tiny fractions from my flawed memory. As I said, I say what I can vaguely recall from that tour.

The Whispering Walls. The walls are hollow so when you press your nose on a corner and whisper something, the person on the opposite side can clearly here what you're saying! Coool.

Built by the same king who built the Taj Mahal, for the same woman.

All those faded details used to be gold-lined. Imagine how beautiful they were.





Those shaped holes in the walls are where candles were placed. In the center is a fountain. This place must have looked really beautiful at night.


A garden of grapes.


The place where public trials were held. From where I was standing while taking this picture was where the royal archers stood in case the crowd got too out of control. The pillars where were the royal stood during public trials. Peoples of old never lose their fondness for brutally because this was also the place where executions were held.


The entrance to the Taj Mahal. Excited!

I'd like to call this photo, "The Calm A Midst the Chaos".

Finally, what I really came to India for.



Again, pretty and intricate details. These stones were made from a single rock formation. They were said to be the queens favorite flowers and stones.

The people of the olden ages never fail to surprise and impress me. All the things they were able to accomplish without the aid of technology or advanced equipment! Their architecture always astounds me.

I've never been able to fully appreciate the architecture of India or the Middle East for that matter. Their buildings, fortresses and formations are so regal and enchanting. They accomplish such grand works merely by hand and stone. Their attention to detail is astounding. Imagine the patient, persistence and resilience they must have had to create all these for royalty. Everything about their art and architecture is brilliant.

I hope to visit India again soon when the weather is kinder! Namaste, haribol!