November 22, 2015

Bike Ride in the City for the First Time

Do one thing everyday that scares you. So today I rode a bike in the streets of Makati.

I have dreamt of being able to bike around city streets for 2 years. #goals


A little background information.. I don't remember that pivotal moment when I decided that I wanted to bike commute, or simply just bike around the city instead of taking public transportation.

My siblings and I have our own place and we pay our all own bills so buying a car is out of the question. Also, I don't want to add to the traffic in the city. We always complain about the traffic situation in Manila. Well, WE are traffic.


This is what I look like when I got home:

mmm...moist

I've had a lot of reckless, carpe diem moments in my life but the bike ride I did today tops the list. Or rather, it's one of the top things on the list. (some stuff on the list that are top of mind: I've tried hiking the Ifugao terraces with just slippers on and cliff diving ~30-40 ft in La Union.)

Into the wild


I felt like Alexander Supertramp who threw caution to the wind and recklessly journeyed the unknown with gleeful abandon. Here's why:
  1. I am not athletic. I had this notion, God prolly doesn't even know why, that biking a fair distance would be simple. From Vito Cruz to the end Buendia Ave.
  2. I had no helmet. This was really stupid of me. When you know you're about to do something crazy, safety should still be a priority.
  3. I had no group with me. Riding with a group helps you navigate the streets with ease on a bike. They can also guide you on road rules for bikers. I just went with my gut, relying on observations I've had of other bikers I've seen before and how they rode through the streets earlier.
  4. I have no experience of biking along city streets alone. I've tried a city bike tour in Baler, Aurora Province, biking around UP Diliman with Travel Factor, and riding the Bambikes around Intramuros. Never ventured out on two wheels on my own.
  5. I don't memorize the streets and I had no navigation app. My phone is not really of high caliber. Also, I thought that when I biked out on my own, I didn't want the frills of gadgetry. No school like the old school.
So off I went at 10am. I wanted to test my newly repaired bike on the road and to time my ride from my place to my office. I tried to be as low maintenance for my ride as possible.

Equipment and Essentials


Just a simple backpack. Two pouches with valuables and essentials, and an umbrella. See, I even forgot my tumbler. Argh.


My monkey feet Vibram shoes which were a gift from my lolo. FYI, shoes when biking don't have to be super fancy. They just have to be closed or well secured to your feet. So no slippers!

My BOOTD: simple white shirt from boyfriend and gym shorts. Must wear cycling shorts next time because these shorts ride up. Haha.

While I was eating breakfast and prepping my stuff, I didn't debate with myself whether or not I should do this because I was alarmingly unprepared. No self-arguments or pros and cons. Just downright fear of the unknown. I was utterly afraid.

When I unlocked my bike which was parked in our building's parking space for motorbikes, I thought to myself, this is really happening. And off I went.

No turning back now


I was first met with cars along Vito Cruz and I was scared of bumping into them because the road was so narrow. Luckily I was able to keep my balance and cruise in between them. A few minutes into my ride and I was going along Pablo Ocampo nearing Quirino Highway (I don't even know if that's correct). My first major thoroughfare crossing -- towards the PNR tracks.

All throughout my ride I had to keep telling myself that I could do this. I had to, I was already out in the streets and far from home! No backing down now.

It was so hot. It was idiotic of me to go out under mid-day heat without a towel or a bottle of water. But I had to keep pushing otherwise I will have started this for nothing. I rode slowly and kept my hands on the handlebars, three fingers on the brakes.

It was almost like riding a car for the first time in that you have to be cautious of all the cars around you, going in every direction, be mindful of right-of-way, stop lights, pedestrians, and just bearing in mind road safety. We share the road, we abide by the rules.

I got to my office building in 30 mins. Did I mention that I didn't warm up before biking? I swear, I am the poster child for noob biking. But when I got to that point, I was immensely proud of myself. I pushed myself to do this and I managed to do what I chickened out of doing for two years. And on my own!

The verdict


Leap and the net will appear. Sometimes people just really need to jump into the unknown. Survival instincts will start to kick in and next thing you know it, you come out of the experience more alive than ever. Because you did it. Sink or swim, think or thwim!

I will definitely buy a helmet soon. I will also remember this experience and what I learned from it. I know I'll be doing this again tomorrow. The hardest part is beginning. But I'm finding that it's even harder to will myself to do this everyday.

Save Philippine Seas, WWF, and Girls Just Wanna Have Sun

Proud of me, I did something really terrifying, reckless, and brave today. But it doesn't stop here. I don't want it to. I've always loved biking, it's a big part of my childhood. And now I think I'll love it even more.


Ahh, does anyone wanna buy me a helmet?...