April 9, 2016

What April 2016 Looks Like

“…and I remember all over again that fear is just a part of life. The trick is to recognise it and press on anyway.” -- Julie Andrews
When it comes to setting goals and dreaming up dreams, I don't want to not do something because I'm afraid. If I had a dream and I couldn't pursue it, it would or should have to be because of budget issues. I have to make responsible decisions over my finances because let's face it -- The spirit is willing but the wallet is weak.

On Twitter, I have been gushing about how there's so much for me to look forward to in April. There's always something to look forward to everyday but more so this month because I spent most of my income and my savings on classes and adventures I will be embarking on this crazy summer month:
  1. Travel writing with Ayala Museum
  2. Freediving
  3. Improv classes with Third World Improv
  4. French Classes at the Manila International Integrated Learning Center
I have also bought my very own Sinaya Cup menstrual cup, re-ignited my desire to bike commute (since I now have a helmet -- woohoo!), and bought a sea salt spray for my limp hair woes.

Quite frankly, I am absolutely terrified about so many things. Money, energy, time. I'd like to think I have ample amounts of each but given that so many things are happening this month, I hope to be able to maintain adequate levels for all of them.


Travel Writing with Ayala Museum

Travel writing is a happy marriage between my two favorite things. Whenever I read travel pieces or magazines, I always feel a flurry of excitement over the words and the pictures I see. Sometimes, I feel that I am in that same place, taking in the sights, sounds, and wonders I am only reading about. I want to improve my writing because I hope to be able to convey the joy (and aches) of traveling to readers.

Freediving

Okay. I'll admit I want to try out freediving because of pictures of acquaintances who look like actual mermaids in the big blue. Maybe the mermaids that sailors saw out at sea weren't manatees -- maybe they were freedivers. So anyway, based on what I've heard about it, I love how freediving incorporates a lot of yogic practices: breathing, relaxing, and feeling like you're floating in air. I honestly believe that once I've gotten good at it and once I'll be out in the water as well, freediving would be the closest experience I'll ever have to flying.

I got introduced to the concept by Gela Petines. We were at a Global Shapers Manila meet-up and we did a round of intros. She explained all about skin diving and how thrilling it is to feel such freedom with marine biodiversity bursting in color and life all around you. Ahh, need I say more? I want that experience.

Improv classes with Third World Improv

I'm no comedienne. I'm not a very good actress. I hate thinking on my feet. My mind blanks when I don't know what's going to happen. I don't always handle myself well in front of an audience. To all these fears and concerns I have, I say so what? I may or may not be terrific at it but hell, I'll give this a shot. I don't want to be crippled by fear and riddled by regret. Ganern?!

Kidding aside, I think I was inspired by this Zen Pencils strip: "Great People Do Things Before They're Ready" (Amy Poehler). Which reminds me, I still need to buy her book, Yes Please. Also, while you're at it, check out Amy's Smart Girls and this article on her by The Guardian.

Back to talking about improv, I'm a big fan of SPIT (Silly People's Improv Theatre). When one of their veteran members, Aryn, held a professional development improv session with my org during our Strategic Planning, my curiousity about improv only heightened. Furthermore, I've seen a few shows and I've always thought, maybe I could do that? Well in a few days and along a couple of weeks (leading up to the showcase), we are about to find out.

French Classes at the Manila International Integrated Learning Center

Learning French has always been a dream of mine. My mom says that when she was pregnant with me, she visited France with my lola, she was always reading about French culture, French magazines, etc. So I'll make a case that pinaglihi ako sa France. I love the Philippines! But I am just as fascinated by France.

I actually bought a voucher for this. I'm excited to learn French + be certified for it to advance my skills with Alliance most likely. (Tip for people who aren't rolling in the dough but wanna do a lot of stuff -- bargain hunting on vouchers!)

Bike Commuting

...or basically just biking to get around (instead of taking public transportation). I've recently re-ignited my love for biking and just yesterday, I biked to work! I hope to be able to do it more often and not make such a big of prepping clothes. I want to be minimalist about it, like how they roll in Amsterdam. Okay, they have a chiller climate there so sweating isn't always an issue. But maybe once I've gotten the wheels turning and the ball rolling on this mission of mine, I can not worry about sweating buckets.

Menstrual Cup

Tied to my environmentalist advocacy (plus bike commuting), I bought a menstrual cup! I'm so happy my friend Tara introduced me to Sinaya Cup, a local brand. I guess it worked out for the best how I put off buying foreign brands because now not only do I have a cup which saves me money for pads, less period-related wastes, freedom to do water sports even on my red days, it's local! Big win on the period front! Might post a review soon... Prolly around end of month because you know.

Beach Born Sea Salt Spray

Another local goodie for a problem I've had since forever. Just got delivered to me a few days ago. I'm super happy with the product but I'm not entirely sure I'm using it right. Might do a review as well just in case someone chances on my blog and is also interested in buying sea salt spray for beach goddess vibes. :>


So there you have it. Most of these April adventures don't start till next week so I'm utterly enlivened and adrenalized. I love you, summer!

"In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." -- Albert Camus