September 22, 2014

Twenty Two Things About Being Twenty Two

Normally, people have obligatory birthday posts wherein they reflect where they are in life, how far along they are with their goals, yaddi yadda the whole kit and caboodle.

I turned 22 last September 20. How is life so far for this twenty-something?


1. I've been at my current company for a little more than a year now.
There have been highs and lows, some triumphs, definitely a helluva lot of challenges. But it's all been definitely a great learning experience. I've always been reflecting and thinking about how I want to work for something more meaningful.. But yes. One at a time, all in due time.

2. I don't think I'm a blogger in the strictest sense of the word.
I've been writing for When in Manila for a while now, and just recently, Modern Filipina. But I don't think I produce great content because I'm more a writer than a blogger. Words are all I have. Not stunning photos nor quirky visual aids. :(

3. The wanderlust is strong in this one.
I'm always itching to travel and go places.

4. I bought a dog. His name is Rumi. He is a beagle.
He likes making a mess and destroying some of my stuff, namely slippers and my headphones. Plus he sometimes stinks. But I love this doggy to bits.

5. I am unable to finish most anything I start.
This is a frustrating attribute I have. I am so impatient, idealistic, aggressive, and hyperactive. Ugh, I know. Quintessential millenial. Must slow it down a notch.

6. I always think in terms of MORE.
I have this tendency to take on more than I can handle mainly because I want to achieve as much as I can. Ambitious, sure. But I'm not talking about big time accomplishments. I always start small. Just hope it won't always be this way.

7. I don't know who I am.
Oh existentialism. Or is it millenialism? Anyway, I have my whole life to figure all this shit out.

8. You won't always get what you want, nor what you think you need.
So cliche, but it's cliche for a reason.

9. For material things, don't be afraid to invest more in things that can give you long-term ROI.
Fancy. I just used ROI even if I don't totally understand it. But yeah. Bags, shoes, at least one LBD... You don't need a lot. You just need durable.

10. Love. So complicated.
People make love complicated because we're all wired differently. If there's anything I learned thus far: adapt to change, compromise, and affirmation. Love away, my friends.

11. Social Networks are both boon and bane.
They're demonized because they've created a "generation of smart phones and dumb people" (or was it technology?). But I think SN's are great if used properly and to your advantage. Good way to find out other peoples' interests and actually connect OFFline.

12. It's okay to not talk to people.
Forced interactions and social obligations... You're growing older and sometimes you feel that it's all pointless. Make meaningful conversations and significant exchanges.

13. Comparing yourself to others. Just don't.
You have/do something they don't and vice versa. Point is, comparison in any way, shape or form is absolutely pointless. Plus it only makes you sad. If your basis for success is judging how successful you are compared to so and so person, you won't feel genuine success which comes from being a better person than you were yesterday. Seriously, stop comparing. Just live.

14. Learn as much as you can but don't take everything in.
You have to have your own set of beliefs and principles. Other people can't shove theirs down your throat and you can't let 'em. Be your own person. You have a brain. Use it. Uphold science, have faith in whatever god or supernatural entity. But be your own person. And stay true to thyself.

15. Unsolicited advice can sometimes be annoying..and eye opening.
Look at me yakking about things you already know. I'm just reiterating things, haha. But like I said, take what you can. Absorb what is necessary.

16. You need someone you can look up to and emulate.
Learn their lives and their stories. Live inspired. Thank you, Bruce Lee, Audrey Hepburn, Mahatma Ghandi, Jose Rizal, and Sylvia Plath for your stories. Fueling somez on yours to write mine.

17. Along the ride, you pick up certain interests you think you can develop into a career or maybe a passion project.
But sometimes, you'll soon realize it's not really you, nor is it meant for you. It's okay to let go of whatever does not serve you. Or something you fell out of passion with. It's okay. Let it go na, ate.

18. Following the previous item, continuously re-invent yourself.
It's one of the Laws of Power and a creative way to live. (How else should you?)

19. People change. They leave, love, teach, stay, what have you.
You'll meet people in this dreary life. Everyone has a reason for having wandered into yours. Let them teach you something.

20. Never let go of your childish enthusiasm.
Please don't let the kid in you grow up. You'll need that little you at whatever age you may be. It's not about being immature. It's continually being curious, playful, enthusiastic about life. Similar to how a kid questions everything like it's magic because everything feels like the first time...

21. You won't always make sense at your nocturnal hours.
Exhibit A, this post.

22. Be happy.
Life is full of tragedy. Life is short. Life is whatever you make it to be. And so, be happy. Do what makes you so. Easier said than done, sometimes, yes. But that's what the world needs more of.


We can talk more. I swear, I make better sense at my happy hours in the afternoon. Here's to you. x