October 5, 2012

Sawasdeka, Bangkok! (Sept 2012)

September 28-October 1, 2012. Bangkok, Thailand.

I had to cut four classes for this trip but it was totally worth it! First time in Bangkok! Upon arriving at the airport in Thailand (I keep forgetting what it's name is), the passport control area was jam packed. The lines were moving at such a glacial pace that it would be 10 or 15 minutes before we took a few steps forward. My brother and I joked that this was because of the movie, Hangover Part 2.

First photo in Thailand! Taking the walkalators down to the sky train.


Cool token.


It reminds me so much of the LRT although it is much distinctively cleaner here. I hope one day it would be to for Manila :(



I love their stalls in the sky train stations! I wasn't able to check them out though. They sell school supplies, shoes, clothes, food, etc.

At Holiday Inn, Bangkok. The hotel was so home-y and beautiful.





First time to ride a tuk tuk!

At MBK shopping center. Again, I also forgot the meaning of the acronym.

I loved Silom Village! Reminiscent of the little Cubao Expo village. So many restaurants and shops in this tiny, gorgeously-lit up area!



See what I mean? Absolutely gorgeous little place.

This is the place where we ate. The food was awesome!  They also stage cultural dance shows on that little stage. Music was being played by the band on the side.

Pretty :)


Mango with sticky rice! Just like a typical Filipino breakfast, with our local suman.

This bridge is part of a railway that was destroyed by the Burmese and the Thais after the war was over. So many prisoners of war of the Japanese lost their lives in the construction of this railway connecting Burma and Thailand. There were Australians, Thais, Americans, British soldiers. This was built and used by the Japanese to transport troops and equipment.

A Chinese temple alongside the Kwai River.

This couple was having their nuptial photo shoot along the railway.

Hooray for elephants!

The elephant saw that our tour guide was holding a bag of bananas. He sniffed and snatched it out of his hands!

Elephant feeding time.





I had so much fun playing in the water with the elephants. They splashed us with their trunks!!

The current was quite strong. It took a lot of strength to try and get up after the elephants slowly drop down to the side to drop you.



Threshold of Wat Pho temple built by King Rama I and restored by King Rama III. Hey, I learned this in Asian History!

The Reclining Buddha, one of the wonders of Thailand that I have always wanted to see ever since my professor told us about it. This was his position before he was about to entire Nirvana.
It was really HUGE. It filled up the space of a really big temple. Only the top layer was made of pure gold. If the entire effigy was made of gold...wow.

The Buddha's feet.
Everyone is different. People come from different cultures, backgrounds, religions, etc. This is the reason why all our feet look unlike each other, with different toe lengths and sizes. But the Buddha's feet are equal with all toes aligned in a straight line. The reason behind this is that when it all comes down to it, ALL MEN ARE EQUAL. And that is the wonderful story behind the Buddha's feet.


Coins for donation.


"The Most Beautiful Statue of Buddha, that It Cannot have been Made by Man"

"The Enlightened One"
One of my favorite photos that I took in Thailand.

The varying escalators of MBK shopping center, otherwise known as the "Thai 168". Haha.


So quirky! I love the Mcdonald's Asian pose.

Driving a parked tuk tuk. HAHAHA.

Fitful end to a Thai holiday. Foot masage!


At the airport.

Birthday gift from pops and mommy. Thank you! :D

I had so much fun in Thailand. It is now definitely one of my favorite destinations alongside Paris, Rome and Norway. Hooray for elephants, night markets, temples and city lights! I hope I get to see Thailand again real soon.