September 8, 2012

I have a dream

"Change takes time. That's what I'm young for."

Yesterday, I had the privilege of being part of the largest youth summit for young leaders. Global Youth Summit 2012 in 3D: Design, Develop, Deliver. More about that on another post. I actually have to write an article about this so I think I'll let my GYS reflections and lessons marinate while I focus on other things for the time being.

Being young is a powerful thing which I'm sure not that many people are aware of. I have already been aware of this fact ever since I left the sheltered life of high school. College is a huge step, one that would entail tougher choices and more difficult challenges. Yaddi yada, we've all heard the sales pitch. But what struck me the most is that I am afraid of living my life and passing this world having only existed. The thought terrifies me.

I feel very grateful for the fact that I was able to listen and learn from people who have shook and shaped our world in one way or another, be it on a local or global scale. I can't say that I will remember everything but one would be surprised to find out that everything stored in the mind is just waiting to come out, waiting to be used, waiting to be accessed, should the time come that we would need it.

So now here I am, giving the premise on what my article would be like, hoping it would not be plagiarized. Hihihihi. And no, I do not plagiarize. Not only is it a sin of theft, but it is a sin against creativity. I'll be poring over the details of the GYS event in another post and another article which, with much hoping and wishing, will get published.

I cannot say it enough for the life of me. I want to be a UN delegate. Or, taken from a Zen Pencils comic I read once, we erase I, which denotes egotism. We take away want which denotes desire. All you're left with is your goal.


It seems to be such a long shot, a pipe dream just waiting to be placed in the deep recesses of my mind. But I really do I aspire to work for an organization built in the aftermath of one of the worst events in human history. And the name itself already says the goal we want to achieve for the world. League of Nations. United Nations. I love it.

I hate that I always think so many things get in the way of want I want to happen. It's too intimidating. It's global--too huge an initiative for me. I still have to study Labor Code. I still have to complete my thesis. I still have to graduate. I still have to find a job. I want to be able to say "Screw that, I have a dream." What would it have been like if Martin Luther King said it that way, eh?

Excuse me, I have a test to cram for.