December 24, 2017

17 Questions To Ask Yourself That Will Help You Honestly Address How Well You’ve Spent Your Year Thus Far

1. What New Year’s resolutions have I honestly stayed true to, and what resolutions have I broken?


I wanted to be more fit, go after more creative pursuits, be more connected to the sea, learn a new language. To name a few. But I don't really think of New Year's resolutions.

2. Which failed resolutions are worth another go, and which resolutions are unnecessary to the path I want to be on?
I learned sign language this year. I'm still no good at it but I've learned a lot about the community and its history.

3. What have I done since the year began to get me further to the place that I want to be at year’s end?
Constantly reading and being curious! Curiosity really is the most important thing. With my thirst for knowledge and creativity, I joined a bunch of recreational classes and lectures.

4. What choices and actions have I failed to make that I knew I should have, and how can I make sure to fix that in the near future?
Oh god, I am a chronic procrastinator and I'm still not the best at managing my time well. I've had one too many naps, zone-out moments. Also, I've been quite impulsive with my finances. It's hard to regret all of these expenses I made since I've also acquired many treasured memories out of them. Hmmm. Maybe make more responsible choices financially.

5. As Annie Dillard said, “How we spend our days is of course how we spend our lives.” How do I honestly, actually spend my days?
I read a LOT. Occasionally talk to my friends on Messenger. And run errands sometimes. I also constantly check my calendar and 2018 Tracker. How am I doing so far?

6. How many hours of my days are spent on wasted opportunities, because I’ve been distracted by the internet and other black holes of procrastination?
Way too much, I feel. But I also think I've been less swallowed by social media. I usually look at funny videos and articles. These are fun and all but some can be great time sucks.

7. How can I make sure not to waste my hours going forward, while still maintaining a healthy and productive amount of relaxation in my days and weeks?
Pomodoro Method. And always keep my mind on the end goal.

8. If I live the next nine months of this year the same way that I’ve lived these first three, how will I feel at the end of the year? Satisfied? Guilty? Disappointed? Ashamed? Happy? Almost satisfied, but not quite?
Almost satisfied but not quite. Always.

9. How can I guarantee that I will feel accomplished and happy with the way I’ve spent these last twelve months when it comes time to reflect on the year in full?
Integrity. Know what I want/need and why. Oh gosh, that's so important. Having an anchor and grounding everything I say/do/think/feel on my principles can help me not to feel so lost all the time. I think it's important I establish my direction and then set my sails and follow my moral compass leading to wherever.

10. What are some easy things to incorporate into my days that will help me feel more inspired and productive? Short walks? Exercising? Online brain games? Reading? Meditating? etc.
Reading is always on the list! Short walks, breathing before reacting, and really thinking things through before attacking.

11. What incentives can I give myself to ensure I incorporate these activities? (i.e. picking up a cup of coffee at the end of a short walk, giving myself a decent amount of guilt-free time on the internet after I’ve read X amount of pages in my current book, etc)
Just desserts! And maybe a KUWTK episode.

12. What hesitations and fears are holding me back – mentally, emotionally, spiritually, and physically – from what I want to accomplish these next few months?
I always fear that I'm no good enough. Anxiety.

13. Who can I promise myself that I will talk to about these worries, in order to force myself to address them, acknowledge them, and work through them (with the support of someone I trust)?
Friends who know about my mental issues. My mom. My doctor, maybe. And myself hehe. I talk to myself a lot.

14. At the end of the day, what motivates me? What is it that I really want to do with my life? And even if it’s a far-off and difficult goal, what can I do now to get myself even a little bit closer?
The sea. I really would like to continue to work in development. Work on something that means something significant for the country, for the world, for me. Keep grounded but keep shooting up.

15. What useless things am I spending money on that I could easily avoid? And as a way to motivate myself, what better use could I put the money to that I normally spend on [takeout, delivery, online shopping, alcohol, etc]?
Hmmm. Takeout and online shopping. Also the occasional Uber/Grab rides.

16. Am I taking enough time for myself outside of work and social activities? Am I taking time to work out, or get a massage, or organize my living space, or take a class on something I love just for fun? If not, why not?
Yes! I constantly reorganize stuff in my place. Learning and curiosity are part of my diet. Of my being. I guess the error here is sometimes I gravitate towards time for myself and not enough time to my personal causes.

17. Where do I want to be in ten years, and what habits do I have now that need to be broken if I ever want to get there?
In 10 years, I'd like to be wiser and more loving. Be at peace with who I was and who I am. And look forward to whatever I can be. I need to learn from my mistakes better!

Source: Thought Catalog