October 24, 2015

Millennial. Bleh.

I hate the word millennial. I know I really shouldn't hate on a lot of things but that word just wells up loathe in me.




One time, I was at this gathering of sorts wherein I was with around 10 people and we were going to eat lunch. Food was at the table. We were all very happy about it because it came from a well known restaurant and we were going to feast on this particular restaurant's best-seller.

Given that this was for a special occasion and we normally didn't feast on this much food from a popular restaurant, we wanted to seal the memory and take a photo. One person from the group quipped, "Okay, millennials, kindly whip out your phones and take a photo!"

It irked me but hey, isn't that what younglings with smart phones do? Or practically anybody with a phone that takes DSLR-quality (sorry shutterbug extremists) photos, really.

I belong to the same age group but I don't necessarily generally subscribe to the same standards. I hardly chase trends. I don't care much about my eyebrows. I drown myself in books. I try to create or re-invent myself more than I try to find myself. Don't even get my started on my wardrobe. I like social media but I don't post my entire life story there. Momentous events, shallow updates on myself, what I ate for breakfast. It's not all advertised online for the world to gander at.

But still.. Passion is a big deal for me. I still believe that we can change the world. It's not a one-time big-time event of epic and global proportions but a painful process. (Infinitesimally slow, but we'll still trying to get there.) I need to live a life I care about doing things that help society progress. I love everything about food: photos, Buzzfeed recipe videos, eating (duh), and cooking (again, work-in-progress).

I'm not an H&M impulse-shopping, eyebrow tweezing, #humblebragging, EDM-ing 90s kid. I'm just pretty weird and I have my own ideals. For the record, I also dislike the word and social hap, "trending".

This doesn't mean I'm better or more special than you. Just different.