August 26, 2013

Million People March, Araw ng mga Bayani, Jose Rizal

ACTIVISM n. the doctrine of practice or vigorous action or involvement as a means of achieving political or other goals, sometimes by demonstrations, protests, etc.

PATRIOTISM n. devoted love, support and defense of one's country; national loyalty.

In light of the current Million People March, I'd like to share my two cents. Personally, I believe in patriotism and not just activism. Nowadays (or maybe ever), it just isn't enough to lose your voice trying to cavil and scream your utter discontent at the government.

Activists and bandwaggoners. With all your placards and mega-phones, what plausible and comprehensive solution do you have to offer? While all your efforts may be for a great cause and I laud you for your courage of conviction and bravery, I'd like to know if you have any powerful ideas to move and steer the country into long-term development. Yes, you're not the president but you are a concerned citizen.

If the pork barrel does become abolished tomorrow or any time soon, will you learn to love your country and your country men? When the day comes that not a soul complains about the Philippines, not a single child begs on the streets, creepy toothy grins of evil and rottenly corrupted politicians don't plaster every fucking wall, working citizens don't have to go abroad to seek greener pastures then we have truly attained what we all have dreamt and longed for for a hell of a long time: a developed country we can be overwhelmingly proud of.

I love my country but I hate my government. We call ourselves Catholic yet the way we act towards our home land and country men is not becoming of one. Go forth and protest, but please do so for expressing your passion for your patriotism. Let them know what you have to say but let what you have to say be substantial, and moving and above all, true.

Jose Rizal is my ultimate hero. He's been everywhere, done everything, met everyone but his heart will always go back to his country. He protested through literature wielding a pen that would ink the works that would eventually spur the country into revolution. Action with intellect. For the Katipuneros? Action with passion and bravery.

Mahatma Ghandi is another historical great that I look up to. He protested with a system of non-violence, embodying "giving the other cheek". A teaching Jesus himself preached. It's not that he "didn't do anything". He just urged the people not to give in to oppression and severe brutality, to not fight back. By this non-retaliation, their oppressors were eventually defeated and they claimed back their own because they held their own.

What's my point? The best action of protest you can ever demonstrate is a deep love of country and a solid compassion for your brothers. Practice what you preach and give the other cheek. To the government, I say to you a very strong fuck you from the bottom of my heart for destroying millions of lives and continually rubbing our country dry. I don't believe in you but I believe this country will see development some day through powerful collective action

This is just in my humble opinion. I'd love to hear yours. And the million others' at the Million People March today.